Re: Contact loads from moving loads

The answer involves very complex and random guesswork to get values for a
simple equation.  The equation is F = m*a.  You have the mass and the force
is what you want.  The acceleration is a function of the stiffness of the
stop, the stiffness of what the stop is attached to (if it's on an elevated
platform, the log hitting the stop could cause the entire platform to sway
several inches - I've seen this), and even the stiffness of the LOG (the
front end of a long log will stop and compress because the back end of the
log is still moving).

Unless you want to do some VERY detailed and time-consuming theoretical
calculations (which will probably wind up being wrong), you should just
guess based on a factor of the weight.

Or you could do what my dad would do in his sawmill.  Look at it, scratch
your head, then weld something that looks strong.  If it breaks, weld it
back stronger and add a gusset.

Also, keep this in mind:  How many thousands of dollars will a breakdown
cost this place?  Think about that if you're trying to save a on
labor/materials with this stop.

----
Jason Kilgore
Leigh & O'Kane, L.L.C.