Re: Posting Live Load

The reason for posting the live load is that the existing structure can't
support the full occupancy load.  It is an existing structure.  The Owner
does not want to spend the money to reinforce the structure.  Now, it
actually CAN support the occupancy live load, but not the additional live
load requirements of 20 psf for partitions.  It is going to be an open
physical therapy area, no partitions.  The building official has agreed
to allow the open occupancy use as long as no partitions are constructed
and the live load is posted per the code.  I am looking for a standard
placard layout so that I can give the owner direction in what information
to post.

The downfall of this is that in the future someone may not remember that
no partitions are permitted.  Hopefully the sign on the wall will remind
someone.

Thanks.

Rich

On Wed, 08 Oct 2003 16:36:46 -0500 Davis Parsons
<dparsons(--nospam--at)msc-engineers.com> writes:
> rlewistx(--nospam--at)juno.com wrote:
>
> > Yes,  This is a TX project.  I guess I never thought of having to
> have ADA requirements.  I thought there would be some standard form
> of what information should be posted, wording, layout, etc.  Is that
> up to me?
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> The building department should have the actual wording requiements.
> More importantly, why aren't you using the live load required by
> Section 1607?  How will the ordinary person know what a posted live
> load (e.g. 50
> PSF) equates to?  Surely there is some way to use the code required
> minimum floor live load.
>

> --
> Davis G. Parsons II, PE RA
> a practical architectural engineer
> in Fort Worth, Texas
>
> "Education is what you get from reading the fine print;
>  Experience is what you get from ignoring it."

> *
> *
> *   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
> *