Re: Pipe Analysis

I am not a materials engineer so this probably isn't going to be exactly correct or for that matter, very useful.

Low carbon steel doesn't melt until about 2500 F,  the lower the carbon content, the higher the melting point.  At about 1300 F, however, the microstructure of the steel changes.  It is a solid to solid transition, though, there isn't any melting.

Above 1300 F, the steel crystals are austentitic with a face-centered cubic (f.c.c.) structure.  Below 1300, the steel crystals are ferritic with a body-centered cubic (b.c.c) structure.

The f.c.c. structure can hold more carbon atoms than the b.c.c. structure; as a steel cools through the transition temperature, the austenitic crystals morph into a combination of ferritic crystals and a compound called cementite (iron carbide, Fe3C).

Conversely,  if carbon steel is heated above the transition temperature,  the ferritic crystals and the cementite morph into austenite.

I don't how this affects anything you might care about though.

Gail Kelley