From: Nels Roselund, SE [mailto:njineer(--nospam--at)att.net]
Sent: Saturday, October 11, 2003 3:19 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Mold Remediation

Barry,

There is not much out there on remediation of stone buildings.

In general, for seismic considerations, Guidelines for Seismic Retrofit of
Existing Buildings applies, because stone buildings are unreinforced
masonry.  The California Historical Building Code [Title 24, Part 8 of the
California Code of Regulations] gives some guidelines -- in particular the
need to pin inner and outer wythes together, unless you can establish that
the wall has been built with a system of through-the-wall bond stones --
from my experience, impossible to demonstrate without destructive partial
disassembly, and, also from my  experience, never found.  Because of the
independent inner and outer wythes, use diagonally oriented [in plan] wall
anchors into the corners of the buildings connected to the diaphragms to
prevent unanchored corners from beginning the unraveling process during an
earthquake.

A few references for general information about existing stone buildings are:

1.   "Conservation of Historic Stone Buildings and Monuments" published 1982
by National Academy Press.
2.  "Conserving Buildings" by Martin E. Weaver, 1997 by Preservation Press
of John Wiley & Sons.
3.  "Conservation of Historic Buildings" by Bernard M. Feilden from
Architectural Press of Butterworth Heinemann, published in paperback in 1994
by Reed Educational and Professional Publishing, LTD.

Nels Roselund
Structural Engineer
South San Gabriel, CA
njineer(--nospam--at)att.net