From: "Andrew Kester" <akester(--nospam--at)bbma.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Monday, October 13, 2003 2:16 PM
Subject: PCI Volume 5

I was wondering if anyone doing any embed plates in concrete, with headed
studs, using the provisions of PCI 5th Edition, was having any problems?
Specifically in thinner sections like tilt-up panels, does it seem like you
are getting lower values in shear then with the previous editions? We
specifically are having an issue with the Ct factor for corner effects. It
seems when you increase your edge distance by large amounts you do not get a
significant increase in the shear.

I have had this same issue with PCA (now in the Appendix of ACI 318-02) with
the Avo term, which reduces the allowable shear for an increased edge
distance.

I have erratta for both texts and this is not the issue. This is a major
issue as my company does a lot of tilt-up and this type of connection is the
norm for tilt-up. Otherwise we have to look into corbels, epoxy bolts,
recessed ledges, etc.

Also, if anyone has recently taken the NCEES SE I exam and has any specific
advice or a problem they remember they had that was out of the ordinary,
please email me privately.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew Kester, EI
Longwood, FL