Re: Plan Check (was Re: Rigid Wood Diaphragm?)

Ben -

I got the impression that the displeasure with plan check was
at the occasionally (often?) slap-dash job done by the plan
checker, a la Paul's description of the masonray to diaphragm
anchorage with no masonry present in the design.  I have also,
however, heard people complain about being required to indicate
load paths on their drawings.  I'm not entirely clear on why
this is a problem, although it seems to me that the plan check
engineer ought to be able to figure this out either from detailing
or just reading the plans.

What I have heard called "peer review" sounds more like what
you are describing, Ben.  Few people seem to have problems with
peer review, but somehow plan check gets a bad rap.  Perhaps
the issue is something that we could better address through
specialized training of plan check engineers.  Is any such
required beyond that for a typical PE?  Perhaps a more
standardized method for indicating features on drawings?

Am I wrong about my asserted definitions of peer review and
plan check?

Charley