RE: Plan Check (was Re: Rigid Wood Diaphragm?)

Re Hyatt Regency collapse:

My understanding on this failure was that the rods supporting the
balcony were changed from continuous to a spliced connection.  So that
the nut on the upper end of the lower rod was overloaded.  I thought
this was a construction change in the field and not the design intent.
If this was the case, then the plan check would not have caught it.

We don't really have any peer review in our area of practice, for me
personally, a large issue, is not so much document review, but enough
inspections during construction.

Hans E. Boge, P. Eng.
Boge Boge (1980) Ltd.
268 Ellen St., Wpg. MB