From: Tripp Howard [mailto:tripphoward(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2003 9:41 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Plan review?

I know exactly what you mean Andrew.  Same thing happens here in southest Georgia.  I really don't think anyone even looks at the structural drawings around here.

Seems like the only way us structural engineers are gonna start getting compensated fairly is to have competent people doing good plan reviews so that everyone is held to the same high standards of code compliance.  Otherwise, people can keep on putting out the same substandard designs for half the price of what other more thorough and conscientious engineers would charge.  No one knows the difference until something falls down and they hire the guy who was too expensive to determine what went wrong and how to fix it.

Tripp Howard, P.E.

Andrew Kester <akester(--nospam--at)bbma.com> wrote:
So guys, for the benefit of us engineers here in the dirty south, especially Florida, what is this thing you guys keep talking about- plan review? Peer review? Someone ACTUALLY LOOKS at your drawings besides your coworkers? WHOA!!! Next thing you know, you will be telling me there are guys that go and "inspect" the structure being built.

No system is perfect, and certainly yours can be improved, but take it with a grain of salt. The only engineers around here going through hassles like that are ones that design parking lots and retention ponds. As long as you plant back X number of trees and make your retention pond big enough, the building could be on the verge of collaps and nobody would be the wiser.....

(slight sarcasm off)

Andrew Kester, EI
Longwood, FL

* http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp