RE: Deflection limits for skylight support framing.

Bruce,

The full title is - Maximum Allowable Deflection of Framing Systems for
Building
Cladding Components at Design Wind Loads, TIR A11-96.  It is available from
the American Architectural Metals Association http://www.aamanet.org/.  It
only costs $6.00.  I do not have a copy.  But your manufacturer should, and
he may give you a copy.

Deflection for skylights is a serviceability issue.  The manufacturers will
complain, but it seldom a major expense to stiffen them up.  You are correct
in your assessment of the L/750 it does appear to be overly restrictive.  It
depends on how he is designing the skylight.  I would guess that he is
designing it as a 3 hinged arch in which case the vertical deflection should
not be a major issue.

Talk to his engineer.  The sales guys profess knowledge, but possess little.

Regards,
Harold O. Sprague