Re: k's in LRFD Third Edition

Ken,

This has been addressed on the list recently.  It is basically as Jake
pointed out.  The k values vary from mill to mill.  Thus, AISC has to put
a value in the manual that "works" for all situations.  The decimal k is
for design calculations and will be the "minimum" value of all the values
from the various mills such that it produces the minimum section
properties and thus the "worst" stress and serviceability conditions.  The
fraction value is the "maximum" value and is used for detailing.  It
insures that the worst value for things like clearance issues and other
"buildability" issues is used.

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI

BTW, you can likely find the "better" answer from Charlie in the archives
(within the last month or two).