Re: Seismic Load Factors

As you correctly noticed, the CBC removed it from the 2001 edition adopted in California. Therefore, if you are in California, you don't need to worry about it. It will never be incorporated to the UBC because it was not an editorial error, and since the UBC will not get updated, it is bound to remain the same.

As for other hidden factors, watch for masonry shear walls when designing per ASD, a multiplier of 1.5 needs to be added to the lateral force.

Ben Yousefi, SE
Santa Monica, CA

>>> hemstad.ml(--nospam--at)tkda.com 10/20/03 02:38PM >>>
Two questions on load factors for seismic design:  For the design of
concrete or masonry, UBC97 (on which the upcoming SE2 exam is based) in
Section 1612.2 mandates a multiplier of 1.1 on all elements of any
combination including seismic load.

PCA's textbook, "Design of Concrete Buildings for Earthquake and Wind
Forces," mentions that the 1.1 factor was slated for review and possible
elimination in a revision.

1.  Did this revision ever get made, or does UBC97 still stand with the
1.1 factor?  (I don't care about the IBC right now--the test is on
UBC97.)  I notice it was removed from the California version of the UBC.

2.  Are there any other mystery factors buried in the code for masonry?

Thanks for your help.

Mike Hemstad
TKDA
St. Paul, Minnesota