RE: Concrete Text Books

I think MacGregor's book is pretty good too, but be sure to read it carefully.  My edition has some errors in it that I didn't catch until the latter part of a design, when I sat and scratched my head in confusion wondering what went wrong.  It's easy to copy the equations, but it bites you in the rear when you find out the inequality sign is backwards!

One more point: very few units are labeled.  I found this to be a benefit as it caused me to think about the terms and what the goal of each equation is.  If you don't plan on reading through it ahead of time and are pressed for time in your projects, it may cause some unnecessary stress for you.

>>> gmadden(--nospam--at)maddengine.com 10/21/03 03:41PM >>>
I also learned from this book (MacgGregor's) as an undergraduate and I
thought it was a good one. Nawy's is very good as well, mainly due to
the fact that there are flow charts that give cookbook steps to design
several different types of members-that was the text of choice of my
professor in Grad School.

HTH
-gerard
Lodi, CA

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Maxwell [mailto:smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, October 21, 2003 12:37 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Concrete Text Books

Thomas:

I would suggest James G. MacGregor's "Reinforced Concrete: Mechanics and
Design".  It was that text that I had in school.  And my concrete
professor still uses that text.  The current incarnation is up to date
with the 1999 ACI and according to my professor (who is the current 318
chair) MacGregor is working on updating it to the 2002 code.  It
supposedly will be out this spring or so.

My concrete professor mentioned that there is a book by Nawy that is
current to the 2002 code.  Also, Nilson (out of Princton, I believe)
with
some others has put out a text that is current with the 2002 code.

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 THunt(--nospam--at)absconsulting.com wrote:

> I was at an ACI seminar last week and sat next to the presenter,
Richard
> Furlong, during lunch.  Richard is retired but teaches part time at
the
> University of Texas, Austin.  Anyway he said that Mr. Salmon as in
Wang

*   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
*   site at: http://www.seaint.org