RE: Concrete Text Books

Don’t remember those errors, sounds like someone let their spellchecker take over. I’d prefer those kind of mistakes to mistakes in sample problems and content where numbers are wrong. I remember this happening frequently in many classes college text books.

When I finished college (Undergrad in 1995) the average engineering text was about 90 bucks. So I had about 450 bucks (counting engineering paper and some new pencils and stuff) every quarter. At these prices, I think those kind of errors are embarrassing. A lot of books now have the answers to problems in the back. I remember several times busting my butt trying to get the same answer on homework assignments only to find out the answer in the back was wrong.

None the less, the flowcharts in Nawy’s textbook help a lot. I believe he has a pre-stressed concrete text, but I am only familiar with the Reinforced Concrete Book from the mid 90’s.

If anyone is interested in seismic design of concrete, Pauley and Priestly’s book is the best.

Is the Nilson book good?

-gerard

Lodi, CA