RE: Allowable thickness variance for steel plates per AISC

>What is the allowable thickness variance allowed
>for steel plates per AISC and where is that specified?

The AISC Specification refers to ASTM A6/A6M, which specifies this and other
tolerances for hot-rolled steel, including plates. The tolerance varies by
thichness and width. For example. The largest permitted variation is 1/16
in., but that is for a thickness over 3 in. in a width between 6 and 8 in.

If you need a copy of the table from ASTM A6/A6M, please contact the AISC
Steel Solutions Center and ask them to send you a copy of Table 26. Or, you
might want to consider purchasing the AISC compilation of steel-related ASTM
standards. It's a handy reference containing 72 ASTM standards at a price
equal to what ASTM would charge you for 3 or 4 of them alone.

http://www.aisc.org/Template.cfm?Section=Bookstore&Template=/Ecommerce/Produ
ctDisplay.cfm&ProductID=1202

Charlie