Re: Rebar Strengths

----- Original Message -----
From: "Syed Faiz" <sfaiz(--nospam--at)saudioger.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2003 2:48 AM
Subject: RE: Rebar Strengths
> By the way, you mentioned about vertical rebars extending,
> out of the top of the columns, for future lap splices. This is
> very unusual thing to do, in my opinion. Such rebars, for future
> lap splice, are always embedded in: either under the slab (if
> the roof is intended to be used, so have to be kept free of any
> protruding pedestals) or in a protruding pedestals, otherwise,
> to protect from corrosion.
>
> If that is the case, described by you, I am afraid you must be
> having a serious corrosion problem by now. In this case, you
> have another important assignment to settle first; that is to to
> investigate the extent of corrosion in these vertical rebars.

There are (8) 1" sq. bars at each column, and they are completely clear of
concrete.  Also, they are protected by the sloped wood overbuild roof so
they are free from deterioration (at least the 4 columns I could observe
close-up).  I will do more inspections when they start tearing into the wood
roof to replace it.  There is corrosion in other parts of the structure and
the contractor is aware that repairs are needed.  Extra repair areas
discovered during demolition will be paid for on a per-unit basis

Thanks for the responses - the CRSI document was just what I needed. The
additional load to the roof is fairly light, but more than the usual roof
load.  I had a "gut feeling" that it would work but I wanted something on
paper to help me sleep (and to help pass code review).  My calculations show
a service live load on the order of 130 - 160 psf (shear, flexure, etc.,
using 33 ksi steel and 3000 psi concrete), which is way more than what I
need.

Speaking of un-covered bars sticking up out of columns, I have seen this
several times in the area.  One, unfortunately, is exactly the situation you
described.  The bars stick up out of the perimeter columns.  Originally they
were buried in the brick parapet, but they're exposed in places and quite
deteriorated.

----
Jason Kilgore
Leigh & O'Kane, L.L.C.