Re: Hardy Frames

Hi Bill,
I would suggest paying attention to the footnotes in the ICBO report - sill plate thickness issue, etc. If you mix and match Hardy Frame with the wood shear walls, the report requires you to distribute the shear based on their stiffnesses.

A note:
Hardy Frames have been widely misused, particularly in the remodel projects where footings on which these frames are installed are ususlly not capable of carrying the huge compression and uplift forces. Now thanks to the new ICBO report, a slender Hardy Frame is allowed to use as a braced panel in the Conventional Construction UBC 2320). I think this defeats the original intent of the conventional construction provisions.

Suresh Acharya, S.E.

Bill Allen wrote:

I am looking for advice from those who have used Hardy frames in
residential construction in high seismic zones (particularly in CA with
the 1997 UBC / 2001 CBC).

I've seen the literature, scanned the ICBO report, but, frankly, I don't
pay attention to things very well until I have to use it on one of my
projects. Well, I did a stoopid thing and mentioned Hardy frames to a
client of mine and he would like to substitute all double sided shear
walls with Hardy frames.

For those of you who have used them, any pitfalls? Anything to watch out
for? Any change in the analysis? To me, they look like OCBFs requiring a
different R, requiring multiplying design forces by 1.5 (or worse,
limited applicability due to AISC Seismic Provisions), etc. but possibly
the ICBO report has avoided all of this.

Input would be most appreciated.

Regards,

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)
V/F (949) 248-8588
San Juan Capistrano, CA
http://members.cox.net/ballense/