Masonry lap splice

What's the reaction to IBC '03, Section 2107.2.3, Equation 21-2, which modifies ACI 530-02, 2.1.10.6.1.1 w/ a new masonry lap splice equation? This can nearly double, for example, the lap length for a #6 bar to nearly six feet! This is not yet in ACI 530.1-02, where the 40/48 bar diameter rule still holds. My understanding from NCMA is that the change was prompted by adverse test results, but it seems like an impractical overkill and I have never heard of any lap splice problems to warrant a change.

Retain Pro will be issuing a patch to cover this option when using IBC '03.

But what's going on?

Hugh Brooks, SE