Masonry lap splice

This provision is also in IBC 2000, Section 2107.2.3.  It essentially
eliminates low lift grouting as the splice lengths are greater than lift
heights.

The Tucson Chapter, SEAOA, is considering recommending as a local amendment
deleting this section from IBC 2003 and just using the requirements ACI 530.

It should be noted, that the ACI 530 splice length provision for strength
design of masonry is the same as Eqn. 21-2.  Therefore, for all intents and
purposes, high-lift grouting will be the defacto grouting procedure for
strength designed masonry.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Hugh Brooks wrote:

. > What's the reaction to IBC '03, Section 2107.2.3, Equation 21-2, which
. > modifies ACI 530-02, 2.1.10.6.1.1 w/ a new masonry lap splice equation?
. > This can
. > nearly double, for example, the lap length for a #6 bar to nearly six
. > feet! This
. > is not yet in ACI 530.1-02, where the 40/48 bar diameter rule still
. > holds. My understanding from NCMA is that the change was prompted by
. > adverse test results, but it seems like an impractical overkill and I
. > have never heard of any lap splice problems to warrant a change.

. > Retain Pro will be issuing a patch to cover this option when using IBC
. > '03.

. > But what's going on?

. > Hugh Brooks, SE