Re: Column located on 4" existing concrete slab

I believe this will be OK, especially if you can distribute the load a little by using a base plate of about 6"x6"- if the slab is on reasonably stable compacted soil.
If you need to calc. it to satisfy the building dept., I have successfully used concrete pavement techniques. For example a 6" concrete pavement can support 8 kip wheel loads if on decent subgrade.

Stan Scholl, P.E.
Laguna Beach, CA