From: Jason Kilgore [mailto:jkilgore(--nospam--at)leok.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2003 10:11 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: steel formdeck as shearwall?

> I have a project that will be a 6 story hotel.  The Architect wants to
> use light gauge studs and hollow core planks.  I want to use load
> bearing masonry and hollow core planks.  I will likely lose out on
> my choice.  We can't use plywood as shear walls due to
> combustibility.  I have never seen form deck used, but it's roughly
> the same thickness as plywood and can act as a roof diaphragm.
> It seems like it would work as a shear wall too.  The job is in
> Birmingham, AL under SBC99, so seismic isn't much of an issue.
> Have any of you seen this stuff used for shear walls?

Yes, but in low-risk super cheap buildings like those rental storage
buildings.  And it was custom "decorative" panels instead of concrete form
deck.  Also, the shear values (per the ICBO reports) were very very low.
Check out http://www.mbci.com/

What you probably want to consider for a 6-story structure is either strap
bracing or a proprietary x-bracing system.  Check out "The Steel Network"
for an example at http://www.steelnetwork.com/  (Click on "Products" then
"Shear Wall").

The strap bracing would be designed by you as a tension only system, and the
proprietary system would be designed by the manufacturer using a load
diagram supplied by you.

Or you could try to talk the architect into incorporating CMU or concrete
shear walls somewhere in the structure, like in stair or elevator walls.

----
Jason Kilgore
Leigh & O'Kane, L.L.C.
jkilgore(--nospam--at)leok.com
816-444-3144
816-444-9655 (FAX)
I have a project that will be a 6 story hotel.  The Architect wants to use
light gauge studs and hollow core planks.  I want to use load bearing
masonry and hollow core planks.  I will likely lose out on my choice.  We
can't use plywood as shear walls due to combustibility.  I have never seen
form deck used, but it's roughly the same thickness as plywood and can act
as a roof diaphragm.  It seems like it would work as a shearwall too.  The
job is in Birmingham, AL under SBC99, so seismic isn't much of an issue.

Have any of you seen this stuff used for shear walls?

Thanks,

John C. Jones, PE
Barnett Associates
Pell City, AL