From: Aswin Rangaswamy
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2003 12:33 PM
Subject: Re: Column located on 4" existing concrete slab

Pl. check you loading again.  If using the UBC the LL on exterior balconies
is 60psf

Trib. area on column = 14'/2 x 4'/2 = 14 SF

LL = 60 psf x 14 SF = 840 LB

Generally the slab poured outside are not properly compacted and reinforced.
I would caution against placing on the slab.  Base plate is a good idea.
Imagine kids (older ones) jumping up/down at the balcony!

A cheaper alternative might be to use foundation blocks available at Home
Depot.  Cut slab, dig hole, place foundation block, attach post to block -
SIMPLE!

-  Aswin
Aswin Rangaswamy, P.E.
Structural Engineer