From: Roger Turk [mailto:73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com]
Sent: Friday, October 31, 2003 11:16 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: steel formdeck as shearwall?

John,

I didn't ask what the code based recurrence interval was, but what is the
interval if you measured back from next year to a seismic event of the
intensity for a 1:2500 year event.  The closer you are to 2500 years, the
closer you are "due" for one.  If it has been over 2500 years since the last
seismic event of that intensity, you are "overdue" for one.  Of course, you
can have one or more 1:2500 year events in any one year.

One of these days, Mother Nature is going to say, "Ha! Ha! You guessed wrong
again, even with all your sophistication," and send us back to the drawing
boards where more precise, but equally inaccurate, guesses will be produced.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

John Jones wrote:

. > The current recurrence interval is about 50.  IBC it goes to 2500 years.

. > Very rough calcs (as in 10 minutes worth)

. > IBC2000 V=550k   I used soil "D"
. > SBC99  V = 220k  I used soil factor of 1.2

. > The last one of these I did was 4 stories instead of 6.  Seismic DOES
. > control for the 6 story version regardless of code or direction. For SBC
. > it barely controls in one direction and controls by a good amount in the
. > short direction.

. > The times they are a changin'!

. > John C. Jones, PE
. > Barnett Associates