Re: Special Inspection

Gail,

Special Inspection has been required in the UBC since ???, (before 1964) and
is different from quality control testing and regardless of the Seismic
Zone.  Special Inspection is *NOT* in lieu of or a substitute for
jurisdiction inspections, nor is it intended to replace the contractor's
quality control procedures and tests.

>From the 1985 UBC (the most recent that I have at home), Section 306 states,
[full descriptions not included]  (Changes have been made to the list since
this edition):

"Special Inspections

Sec. 306. (a) General.  In addition to the inspections required [to be
performed by the jurisdictions], the owner shall employ a special inspector
during construction of the following types of work:

1. Concrete: During the taking of test specimens and placing of all
reinforced concrete and pneumatically placed concrete.  [Exceptions omitted.}

2. Ductile Moment-Resisting Concrete Frame.

3. Reinforcing Steel and Prestressing Steel.

4. Welding.

5. High-Strength Bolting.

6. Structural Masonry.

7. Reinforced Gypsum Concrete.

8. Insulating Concrete Fill.

9. Spray-Applied Fire Proofing.

10. Piling, Drilled Piers and Caissons.

11. Special Grading, Excavation and Filling.

12. Special Cases:  Work which, in the opinion of the building official
involves unusual hazards."

HTH

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona

Gail Kelley wrote:

. > Well,  doesn't the UBC only require special inspection for Seismic
. > Performance categories greater than B?

. > If so,  when someone is out testing concrete on a "B" job,  what is it
. > called?

. > Concrete testing is standard on almost all jobs, other than someone
. > pouring a new patio.  But in this area, at least,  the concrete inspector
. > often does not speak English.  If they speak English, they are likely a
. > high-school drop out.   They are probably ACI certified,  but I would
. > hate to think I was relying on them to be eyes and ears. Whether they are
. > contractually obligated to the owner or the engineer,  it seems they are
. > really just testers - they do the test, they write down the numbers.

. > Post-tensioning is kind of interesting; usually if you have a blow-out,
. > it is because the tendons were placed with too much of a curvature - this
. > is something an experienced person could probably see if reviewing the
. > tendon layout before the concrete was poured. Blowouts are never (at
. > least in my experience) blamed on the inspector, however, the inspector's
. > contract may say something about verifying the tendon layout,  but the
. > only thing they check is number of tendons and profile.

. > Also,  where else (how else) is concrete testing required by the codes,
. > other than under the list of Special Inspection requirements?

. > Gail Kelley