SE Tests

Michael:

Sorry to hear aboot your frustrations up der in Minnesota, oh yah. NCEES sounds like a bunch of real hosers, yah. But what do you expect from the land of Goldern Gophers and Vikings :)..... (Just some friendly ribbing from a former cheesehead, I have family in Minnesota too...)

In Florida, amazingly, for the SE I , they still have enough common sense enough to let us use any calculator without QWERT alpha pads. So I brought my trusty HP 48G which is only good to me for the stack method, not because I know how to program it. Also, it is what I have been using for a number of years so I am quick with it. I don't see a big advantage to a programmable calculator in an open book test, but then again I am not to fluent with those capabilities of my calculator so maybe I am missing out.

Also, the NCEES SE I exam sample book that I ordered was amazingly similar and helpful for the actual exam. I brought the UBC 97 but never had to crack it once, since any seismic or wind loads were pretty much supplied to us. Also the SE Ref. Manual by Williams was extremely helpful, and was a real time saver.

So my one complaint about the NCEES test, which is really a licensing issue, is that bridge and buildings should be separate exams. Besides an occasional pedestrian bridge, I do not know many engineers are building structural consultants who also design bridges , or vice versa. I would think separate exams would be a logical solution. Since the test was about 20% bridge, I think the real disadvantage would be for bridge engineers, having to learn or relearn masonry, wood, and basic building stuff....

 However, in fairness to NCEES, the bridge problems were not so bad even for an engineer who picked up AASHTO for the first time a couple of months ago. Also, the seismic wasn't too bad either which is good for us wind guys down here in FL. But I am glad I was forced to get into some seismic for when we do projects in low seismic areas, which is pretty much anywhere but FL nowadays...

So which states/jurisdictions require a SE II and SE III? I know Scott tried to explain it to me once before but my brain was fried from taking the test I think. So does CA have their own SE test completely unrelated to NCEES? One of my previous bosses took the CA SE exam a couple of times back in the early 80s, and it was amazingly difficult, and you were very short on time. It was all show your work and get partial credit. I saw some of his example tests, and it made my brain hurt.

So, finally, off topic, can anyone beat Oklahoma this year? I am FSU alumn and I don't think I want to see us play them in New Orleans, could be ugly... Figure some of you CA/ USC guys would have an opinion. Hope you guys are ok out there with all the fires.

Andrew Kester, EI
Longwood, FL