FW: concrete tanks

Re-sent in plain text format.

-----Original Message-----
From: Sherman, William
Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2003 8:14 AM
To: 'seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org'
Subject: RE: concrete tanks

ACI 350-01 Section 10.6.4 requires a z-factor of 115 for "normal
environmental exposure". This is intended to correspond to a crack width of
about 0.010 inches.

Epoxy coated rebar is not typically used unless required for severe chemical
exposure. Due to reduced bond of epoxy coated rebar, I would expect it to
increase cracking a little. Sealing compounds are not typically used, but
for severe exposures, high build coatings or PVC liners are used. Concrete
cover of 2-inches is typically used for cast-in-place concrete for rebar
protection.

Thermal effects due to temperature variation across the wall thickness
should be checked for your situation.

William C. Sherman, PE
CDM, Denver, CO
Phone: 303-298-1311