Re: Weld bolts

Ben,

AWS D1.4-98 (which I think is the latest) reads the same as the 1992.  I think the answer to your question is in the preceding paragraph, 3.2.1, which says "....concrete surrounding the joint in the finished structure shall be sufficiently strengthened with transverse reinforcement (splice plate) to prevent splitting of the concrete caused by the tendency of the joint to flex during eccentric loading".

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

"Ben Zhou" <zhoub002(--nospam--at)hawaii.rr.com>

11/03/2003 05:43 PM

Please respond to
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
Re: Weld bolts

I have AWS D1.4-92 that says in its clause 3.2.2 that "Welded lap joints
shall be limited to bar size No. 6 and smaller". Does any one know whether
the latest version of AWS D1.4 still has this regulation? On what basis is
this limited to #6 bars or smaller?

Thanks

Bz