Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...

Return to index: [Subject] [Thread] [Date] [Author]

Re: SE Tests

[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
> Out of curiosity,  when you take the SE I / II / III exams,
> do you get an SE designation?

Yes.  You can officially add the title "SE" to your signature.  However, it
really doesn't mean anything except in the states that recognize the SE

> I was under the (perhaps false) impression that only
> California, Hawaii and Illinois actually had an SE
> designation.  And that it was a necessary thing in
> California and Hawaii, but a um, political issue in Illinois.

I don't know about California and Hawaii, but in Illinois the PE and SE
licenses are complete different (with different seals and everything).  You
take the Civil PE exam for a PE license, and the SE I/II for the SE.  As it
was told to me by an Illinois official, you can't design a drilled pier in
Illinois without an SE license (maybe an exaggeration, but I don't know).

If you want to do both civil and structural design you have to take all
three tests and get registered as both, with two seals.

Jason Kilgore
Leigh & O'Kane, L.L.C.

******* ****** ******* ******** ******* ******* ******* ***
*   Read list FAQ at:
*   This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers 
*   Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To 
*   subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to:
*   Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at) Remember, any email you 
*   send to the list is public domain and may be re-posted 
*   without your permission. Make sure you visit our web 
*   site at: 
******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ****** ********