RE: Reusing Foundations (was: SE Tests)

Bill:

You are assuming that my boys in Blue won't do something stupid against
Northwestern in two weeks (assuming that USC didn't make it to the Sugar).
Keep in mind that it is Michigan tradition to lose to a team that they
really should not lose to after win a big game or two.  Already one prime
example this year...the loss to Oregon.  But as a long time Michigan fan
and alumnus, I am used to such things.

As to your reusing of foundations, be careful of the concrete in addition
to the anchors and rebar.  If the temperatures got high enough, then the
concrete could have been damaged as well, resulting is a reduction in
strength.  On potential indicator is if the aggregate/concrete has changed
color (I believe become pinkish, but I am no expert in this area...just
have a friend that works for WJE and talked about such invesitgations).
Cores and/or schmidt (rebound) hammer tests would help in this area.  As
pointed out, if lightly loaded, it may not be an issue...but then you are
in high seismic country so "lightly loaded" might be a myth.

HTH,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI