Tests, etc.

Last one- I will not post anymore about licenses and exams, for a long time, promise......

Thanks to everyone for clarifying, or confusing, the licensing requirements from around the country. I have always just kind of pieced it together. I imagine a string of lists from our Canadian bretheren along the lines of: about how they do it in Canada, and how they have special ice and snow exams, and how it is so much better up der . And you California hosers haven't done anything until you design for seismic with 5 feet of snow on the roof and frost upheaval on the foundation and 80mph winter wind storms, eh? And in Quebec the exam is in French and English, so if you are not bilingual, do not bother  :)

 It sounds like even if I could fool myself into thinking I could afford to live in California, it would seem  an engineer working in a wind area would have a tough time adapting to seismic. I don't see the licensing even being a remote possibility without a few years of progressive seismic design experience and a whole lot of studying. Most CA firms I see advertising want a MS, someone from a CA school (sssoorryyyyy!), and of course seismic design experience. Sounds like I will live and die in this jungle. At least Magic tickets are easier to get then Lakers tickets :)

But you can do structural with a CA PE, as long as the structure meets certain restrictions? So what is on that test? It is not an NCEES Test? In addition you have to take a surveying and seismic test? I am confused...

In FL they just started offering the NCEES SE 1 exam in the last few years , from what I understand. People in my office had a 4 question test before where you had to show all of your work. I am very happy they offer the SE 1 option otherwise I would have to take the Civil test and that means learning a bunch of water and dirt stuff that I hate.

The SE 1 was not as bad as I thought it would be, pretty straightforward if you have a diverse background and prepared for it, at least that worked for me (assuming I passed, I sure hope so). They offer the SE 2 exam in FL for some reason, I don't know anyone who has taken it and it would really only be for if you want to get licensed out of state, I don't know what it does for you here.

There is no SE designation or license here, only a PE license, regardless of discipline. I believe it says Civil, Mechanical, Electrical on your stamp. It is up to you as an engineer to ethically sign only what you practice. If you know retention ponds, then don't sign buildings, and vice versa. That goes from a one story building to 50+, same license. But like someone said I suppose you could throw the SE on your title, but around here that really doesn't mean anything.

Why highly populated states in hurricane regions such as Florida, Texas, New York, etc. have not jumped on the SE license with SE 1 and SE 2 kind of baffles me. You think the insurance industry or someone would be pushing it. I am sure there are plenty of guys out there who have PE licenses, doing mostly civil, and signing off on some structural stuff when they shouldn't be. I know for sure...

So Gail, does DC have their own licensing or do they let Maryland pick that up?

Someone asked about submitting calcs in FL. Even in work I have done in S FL/ Miami-Dade, I have never had to. Most engineers I know really never have had to in FL, it would be up to the jurisdicition. The only exception would be FDOT work, and even then, it is not consistent. They are wanting wind load diagrams/schedules on drawings, and wind speed and building categories, but that is about it.

Andrew Kester, EI
Longwood, FL