sill plate cupping/lifting?

Any ideas?

I recently purchased a 1977 home that has been poorly maintained. The sill plate all along one side of the house is angled up on the inside edge where it is not directly pinned down by the parallel joist sitting on top of it. It is lifted up by about 3/4". It is bolted down in the middle but that has not stopped it from coming up on the inside edge.

There is moisture there from faulty flashing and gutters. I can see no signs that the sill plate is rotted though. Can it be that the sill plate is simply cupping due to the moisture in the concrete foundation? My fear is that the outside edge (which i cannot see or access) is rotted and getting crushed under the joist - thereby lifting the inside edge.

Which is more likely? Is this a common problem that i should not worry about?

Any help will be appreciated.

marc