Regional permitting differences - calculations

Title: Regional permitting differences - calculations

Up here in Alaska, residential construction can be done by either an Engineer or a designer, and calculation are required unless they are in the 100 mph (3-sec) wind speed zone and do it prescriptively.  Plan review is mandated to have first review done in 4 working days.  And people still complain.  Commercial construction shall be sealed by Engineers registered in the state of Alaska, and of course calculations are required.  The time frame for commercial plan review is 4 weeks.  Preliminary meetings benefit everybody and I encourage them.  We will line up the meeting with representatives from plan review (can be all disciplines), fire, zoning, planning etc.  They certainly help ensure all parties know what is expected.  Martin