SE Tests

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 GSKWY(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:

> Out of curiosity,  when you take the SE I / II / III exams,  do you
get an SE designation?

Gail,
Minnesota only will license us as PE's.  Most structural people get this
by taking the Civil PE, but you can also get it by taking the SE1 here.
I've been a Civil PE since 1988 (I'm usually civil).  When I passed the
SE1 exam last April, I asked the Board and was told that I could now
call myself an SE, even though it has no legal meaning in Minnesota.  In
spite of the "no legal meaning" part, I believe it would have been
illegal for me to put "SE" after my name before I passed the test.  I
know my company takes great care to put "Registered Engineer-Structural
Department" instead of "Registered Structural Engineer" or words to that
effect, on our business cards.

I just took the SE2 a couple weeks ago in order to get registered in
Illinois.  I don't understand why Illinois requires it, but then they
didn't ask me when they wrote their rules.

Mike Hemstad, P.E. (and S.E.)
TKDA
St. Paul, Minnesota