Re: Dowel brng strength (Fe) for ASTM A36 Stl in 2001 AF&PA NDS

See Appendix I
----- Original Message -----
From: <utej(--nospam--at)comcast.net>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 06, 2003 12:09 PM
Subject: Dowel brng strength (Fe) for ASTM A36 Stl in 2001 AF&PA NDS

> 2001 AF&PA NDS footnote 2 under Table 11D, entitled "Bolts: Dsn Value for
Single Shear w/1/4" ASTM A36 Steel Side Plates", states "Tabulated lateral
design strength values (Z) are for "full diameter" bolts with bending yield
strength (Fyb) of 45,000 psi and dowel bearing strength (Fe) of 87,000 psi
for ASTM A36 steel."  However, the 1997 AF&PA NDS footnote 3 under Table
8.2B, entitled "Bolt Dsn Values for Single Shear w/1/4" ASTM A36 Stl Side
Plates", states "Tabulated lateral design values (Z) are based on a dowel
bearing strength (Fe) of 58,000 psi for ASTM A36 steel."

> Why was the dowel bearing strength (Fe) for ASTM A36 steel increased from
58 ksi in the '97 NDS to 87 ksi in the '01 NDS?