RE: SE Tests

My point exactly.

The license doesn't really matter in this case. Competence does.

And yes, I would go out on a limb and suggest that someone shouldn't be
designing in materials they're not familiar with. Why should a customer
be the guinea pig?

Just because one is licensed to practice doesn't make them competent.
The obvious examples are civil engineers (real civil engineers) doing
structural engineering and architects doing structural engineering. But,
I also believe that there are not so obvious examples such as special
foundation design for specific soils conditions, hurricane design,
seismic design, frost heave, snow design, as well as material specific
projects. I'm sure there are others.

People taking on projects they're not qualified to do hurts us all. We
all know why they do it. Work is light. Can't say "no". The problem with
working in a new material, region, project type, etc. is quantity of
"unknowns" due to lack of experience. This lack of knowledge tends to
drive the fee down (again, hurting us all) and problems in the field up
(again, hurting us all). I can't say I've never done it, but I don't
plan to do it anymore.

I spend so little time designing steel that, every time I have a moment
frame, I have to spend more time researching "state of the art" than I
do designing the damn thing. Personally, I won't do structural concrete
(structural slabs, etc) even though I did quite a bit of it in my
previous life. I just haven't kept up. I would rather bring on a
colleague to assist if I couldn't turn the job down or wanted to do it
anyway. There are other types of projects and materials I won't touch
for the same reason. I'm not an expert in anything (actually, I'm not an
expert in anything), nor do I have to be nor do I aspire to be.

Regards,

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)
V/F (949) 248-8588
San Juan Capistrano, CA
http://members.cox.net/ballense/