RE: SE Tests

Bill:

Not to belabor the point since I figure your are out enjoying the nice
weather but...I have a slight issue with your example.

Please explain to me how someone who designs "complex steel" projects
during the day (presumambly in a high seismic zone since your mention a SE
license) would fail to realize the importance of connection details and a
good load path from roof to foundation.  Are you implying that such things
are NOT important in complex steel projects?  I would doubt it.  Thus,
this theoretical SE that designs complex steel projects during the day
knows full well the importance of such things and would realize the same
would apply for a wood structure.  Or said SE doesn't realize it for wood
cause he/she also doesn't realize it for his/her steel projects and has
just copied other people's work at the large A/E firm without really
understanding, which would mean that said SE is NOT competent and make me
wonder how he/she passed the California SE exam.  Or said SE understands
such items importance for both steel and woods design, but just figures
"ah, it is just a wood residential structure...it is not important enought
to worry about such things"...in which case, he/she is not what I would
call ethical.

The point is that things like importance of ductile detailing,
connections, and proper load paths are basically indepentent of the
structural material.  The difference is how to achieve those things in the
different materials...that is where someone not familiar with a particular
material can get tripped up.

Regardless, you point is still received...

Regards,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI