From: Keith De Lapp [mailto:keith(--nospam--at)kdlengineering.com]
Sent: Friday, November 07, 2003 2:40 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: SE Test

It is a nice Friday afternoon.  Am I tired of taking time to hash this out as well.  In our area the local building official is unhappy with the "Quality" (or presentation) of work submitted by shall we say unnamed engineers in a particular market sector.  In an effort to elevate the quality of work turned into them they have chosen a direction I think you would agree with.  Through a local professional society, and their own personal memberships and participation in the society, they are in the process of creating standards that the membership endorses.  The concept is that if the membership self regulates and "audits" the practice of a participating professional, their name is placed on a list of qualifying professionals.  The building department can then post the list as a list of professional that have agreed to conform to an "approved" set of standards regulated by ones membership and participation in that very same organization.

The hope is of course that peer pressure will help create an incentive to be included on the list and thereby clean up the problem.  I think that ethics and competency issues could be handled in a similar way.

Bill, thanks for the discourse.  Sorry for having gone "Wishy" on you.  Sorry Dennis, I just couldn't help myself :)

Keith De Lapp, P.E.

KDL Engineering