RE: Mono Stringer Stairs

>A steel fabricator has requested a design for a mono stringer stairs.
>My current concern is the steel tread (with a wood finish) since it
>cantilevers at either side of the stinger. I'm thinking of using a tapered
>stiffener plate below the tread plate.

The National Association of Architectural Metals Manufacturers (NAAMM) offers many manuals, guides, etc. on miscellaneous, ornamental and architectural metals products. Their Metals Stairs Manual ($35) will likely be of help to you here. Perhaps their staff could also help start you in the right direction.

    www.naamm.org
    312/332-0405 or http://www.naamm.org/contactnaamm.php

Hope this helps.

Charlie