RE: SICK PROFESSION

Dave,
This was Bob's point - one less job available to an American who had the
qualification you needed. I can't believe that somewhere in the country
there wasn't an SE that could do the work you needed and was willing to
relocate to Chicago.

In the past, you argued that you needed the H-1b employee because of
work that you were doing in other countries and the need for someone who
represented your firm that knew the language and the politics. I can
understand this line of reasoning - it makes sense and this might be the
thing that Globalization is based on. However, I can't condone the
hiring of a non-immigrant status employee who is a professional from
another country that jumps to the head of the immigration line and is
allowed to use the time they work as a non-immigrant to file for and be
accepted for a green-card and permanent status in the U.S. This employee
took the work away from an American Citizen as was evident in the fact
that he is now permanent and is living the American dream at the expense
of another citizen.

H-1B was not originally intended to do more than provide temporary
employment for professional. It was intended to fill slots on a
temporary basis until students graduated and obtained the experience
necessary to make up for the lack of available employees. I don't think
that there was ever a lack of Structural Engineers with the experience
you needed that could have filled that particular spot by relocating
from another area where possibly the opportunities were not so great.

Dennis