RE: SICK PROFESSION

Mr. Wish:

With all due respect...I beg to differ, sir.

Postings on monster.com and the Chicago Tribune (both, as i understood it,
"Nationally" exposed job forums) yielded no suitable prospects.

"experienced" engineers chose not to respond...and why should they...the
economy was booming (1999)and in Chicago, we were in a building boom!

Work and jobs were plentiful, QUALIFIED engineers (or maybe i should say,
qualified engineers who were williing to leave their secure jobs at SOM,
TT, Epstein, et. al. and work for a start up) were not.

If, indeed, these SE's existed and responded to my ads, only to be
ignored...why did i undertake the SIGNIFICANT extra expense and hassle of
the H1-B visa process if guys and gals from the US were pounding down my
door?

Finally, in my defense, my H1-b visa hire was to respond to a specific
project need (i.e., working on a overseas project with an Austrian firm)
where an engineer who could speak German/English was a logistic necessity.

Please also remember, the H1-B visa program was created by the good ol' US
Government.

If it helps further, i have recieved calls from firms here IN THE US,
offering to outcource my SE work to India to save me "tons of money, as the
work will be done at a fraction of the cost of paying engineers in the US"

Maybe its me, but that scares me a hell of a lot more than the H1-B visa
program does.

Get your congressman on the phone...that kind of stuff is a lot greater
threat to our little way of life, IMHO.

Yours etc.,

DLF