ASCE7/IBC 2000 minimum wind load

I am looking at wind loads on a 3-story building with a 4:12 gable roof
using the low-rise option in ASCE7 section 6.5.12.2.2.  The low slope of the
roof results in suction pressure on both sides of the ridge.  When the roof
loads are broken down into components on the vertical projected area the
resulting horizontal force is actually acting against the windward
direction.  IBC 2000 section 1609.1.2 states that the design of MWFRS shall
not be less than 10psf on the vertical projected area.

Does this mean that you use 10psf on the entire projected area vs. the total
of resultant forces from walls and roofs? Or do you use 10psf anywhere were
the horizontal load is less than 10psf, i.e. at the roof projection.  This
will increase the loads on the shearwalls significantly especially at the
3rd level.

Any comments are appreciated.

Regards,

Dwain Hendershot