Re: CA PE with regards to WA PE

Seth,
I'm in Nevada and engineers here regularly take the CA PE because we can take it a full 2 years before we even meet the experience requirements in NV. The test has 3 parts as you mentioned and you can pass any one of the three parts separately (NCEES, Seismic or Surveying). There's also a take home ethics/board rules exam. The Seismic and Surveying tests are each 2.5 hour and are multiple choice. In general, you have to move at a rapid fire pace to get the stuff done and pass... fast paced, but doable.

From: "Seth W. Cutler" <seth(--nospam--at)rlmorrisonengr.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: Re: CA PE with regards to WA PE
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 12:14:25 -0800

That does bring up an interesting question. I don't think you can sit for the CA structural without the 5 hr add'l exam. Even if you do take the Struct. II and Struct. III up here in WA I think you still have to take the surveying portion down in CA to get commity/reciprocity. Maybe someone else has that info.

Now, on my original question, I was asking if you could pass the CA Civil PE in parts. Between the NCEES exam and the add'l tests. I'm trying to figure out my risk in going down to CA to take the exam and pass the NCEES exam but don't pass the surveying in particular. Would I have to fly back to take just the serveying portion or all of it. Or could I just wait till I was qualified in WA and submit my score from the NCEES exam I took in CA.

Thank you, Tom and Jack for your insight so far. I've been thinking about this on and off for a year now and I'm finally down to making a decision in the next month.

If any of you have heard, does anyone besides ASCE offer review courses for Civil PE? Preferably up here in WA.

Thanks again,
Seth