From: Roger Turk [mailto:73527.1356(--nospam--at)compuserve.com]
Sent: Monday, November 10, 2003 10:28 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: SICK PROFESSION

I have started to respond to H1b threads on several occasions, but for one
reason or another decided not to send the response.

Do we forget that this is a nation of immigrants?  All of us, including the
Native Americans, came from somewhere else.  Maybe our ancestors came
because
they were explorers; maybe they came because this was a land of opportunity,
maybe they came because they were oppressed in their native country.

I am a second generation American.  My grandparents came to this country in
the late 1800's from Lithuania, Poland and Germany for the same reasons that
people before and after have come here.  I welcome people who are courageous
enough (or oppressed enough) to come to a country whose language is foreign
and whose customs are strange to make a new life for themselves, their
family, and particularly their children.

No matter how skilled or learned our new immigrants may have been in their
country of origin, they have to start anew here.  Many have had to take
menial jobs until they learned the language, customs or procedures that were
all too familiar to them in their native county.  They are willing to work
for low wages because of the opportunities that await them.

How can we forget that we, who have been born here, have spent more than 20
years learning the English language, yet many of us still are not competent
in expressing ourselves, cannot spell correctly, use incorrect words and
cannot punctuate or capitalize correctly.  Why do we fault people who have
only been here a few years for making what may be literal translations into
English?

I, for one, welcome these newcomers to the USA, the land of opportunity, and
wish them the greatest success as many of those who have preceded them have
achieved.

A. Roger Turk, P.E.(Structural)
Tucson, Arizona