RE: SICK PROFESSION

Roger -

I have to disagree. Although I continue to try to limit my political
views on this listserv, I'll put in my two cents and then don my flame
suit.

First of all, I've known many, many first generation Americans and heard
their stories about the price they paid to come here. Not only are their
stories incredible, but their contributions significant and I'm glad
they are here. I often encourage these Americans to tell their stories
to the snot nosed kids who have everything handed to them and tell them
what it means to them to be an American.

Yes, this is a nation of immigrants. But, based on your definition, all
nations are immigrant nations, including Lithuania, except for the
location of the birth of mankind.

When this nation was much younger, we needed the resouces of humankind
and I'm sure, in certain areas, we still do. But we are running out of
space (especially on the freeway in LA!) and resources.

But should we welcome any and everyone? Some say yes, but I say no.

I say no to those who come here and let their visas expire.

I say no to those who come here and refuse to take the Pledge of
Allegiance.

I say no to those who come and stay here illegally, even if they are
providing a service I do not wish to perform myself.

I say no to those who come here and refuse to pledge to die if necessary
to defend our ideals.

I say no to those who come here under false pretenses for the purposes
of doing us harm.

I say no where we have crowded schools, hospitals and infrastructure
where existing citizens have trouble receiving benefits we have already
promised them.

I say no where, by letting them in, our quality of life (for those
already here) diminishes, not improves.

Yes, we are a nation of immigrants. That is our history and heritage.
But does that mean we must remain so for all of eternity until we no
longer are who we are?

Some say "yes".

I say "no" and I vote.

Flame suit on.

Regards,

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)
V/F (949) 248-8588
San Juan Capistrano, CA
http://members.cox.net/ballense/