Re: Former professor leaves legacy - The Brown and White

Attention   NCSEA  - SEAINT

I suspect many of you are aware of the following  but just in case I pass along the following  sad news

Bob Johnson
SEAOI

FYI Bob Johnson

Bob
rbengrguy(--nospam--at)aol.com

Read This Story at The Brown and White

Former professor leaves legacy
By Lauren Eisner
News Writer
11/9/2003
Lynn Beedle, a former civil engineering professor recently died at the age of 85. He worked at Lehigh for 60 years.

"With the passing of Lynn Beedle, we have lost one of Lehigh's most famous faculty members and one of her most loyal sons," said Alan Pense, provost emeritus and former dean of the P.C. Rossin College of Engineering and Applied Science. "He was truly a citizen of the world and we will surely miss him."

Beedle was chosen by the Engineering News Record as one of the top 125 people in his field in the past 125 years. He was director of the university's Fritz Laboratory and the author of two books, "Plastic Design of Steel Frames" and "Structural Steel Design."

Beedle came to Lehigh in 1947 after having graduated from UC Berkeley in 1941 and serving in the Navy for five years. He received his masters and doctorate degrees from Lehigh.

He joined Lehigh as a research instructor in the civil engineering department in 1947. He was appointed assistant professor in 1952 and rose to full professor in five years.

In recognition of his professional and research achievements, he was named to a university distinguished professorship in 1978.

Beedle was also director of the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat. He worked on the promotion of urban and regional planning and was an advocate for the use of skyscrapers to limit urban sprawl.

The Berkeley Engineering Alumni Society granted Beedle the Distinguished Engineering Alumnus Award in 2000.

"Lynn Beedle has been a pioneer in our understanding of how modern urban buildings behave and how we behave in response to them," the society said in a statement.

Beedle was known for his structured teaching style and warm, engaging personality. According to Professor Le-Wu Lu, his qualities were excellent leadership, talent in working with different professionals in his field and exceptional organizational skill.

Beedle published more than 200 technical papers with his students, and received many top awards for his profession. He was elected to the National Academy of Engineering, which is one of the highest honors awarded to engineers in the United States.

Beedle also acted as director of the Structural Stability Research Council.

Beedle was awarded the John Fritz Medal, given by an association of five national engineering societies.

"There was no one in the past 50 years who brought more international visibility to Lehigh University," said Arup SenGupta, chair of the department of civil and environmental engineering. "If there were a Nobel Prize for engineering, Lynn would get it."

Beedle is survived by his wife, Ella; four sons, Lynn Jr., David, Edward, and Jonathan; a daughter, Helen, who is an adjunct professor of music at Lehigh; a brother; two sisters and nine grandchildren.

After working at Lehigh for 46 years, the legacy of the professor and academic continues to live on.

"He had a talent for bringing together technical experts all around the world," said Chandra Jha, founder and president of PSM International, a Chicago-based real estate development corporation. "He never gave up and he was a very courageous person. There was no one else quite like him."

Lynn Beedle, a former Lehigh civil engineering professor and expert on skyscrapers, died Thursday (Nov. 6) at the age of 85.
Photo by Lehigh University website

Copyright © 2003 The Brown and White