Re: SICK PROFESSION

Shafat:

I am going to disagree with you a little bit.  While I agree that for the
most part capitalistic forces should "govern" this, I also believe that
governments to have a role to play.  The role of government is to insure
that there is a level playing field (at least in my opinion) and that
companies are exploiting people just to improve the bottom line.  For
example, I object to a company shipping manufactoring jobs to foreign
countries just because they can ignore things like worker safety or
protection to save money.  Such things (to me at least) promote the idea
that workers in other countries are worth less and are expendable when
compare with American workers.  I like the notion that companies invest in
other countries so that those countries can prosper and develop from
"Third World" to so called "First World" countries.  But, I also believe
that this should be done in such a way that does not exploit the people in
those countries.

And I say this knowing that to a large degree this creates a nice, handy
little catch-22.  After all, if US companies treated foreign workers
nominally at the same level as their US workers (i.e. same environmental
protections, same types of benefits, same safety protections, etc), then
they may not really save much money, which then defeats the purpose of
sending the work there in the first place.

But, then again, it is not a nice little simple issue that many make it
out to be!

Regards,

Scott
Ypsilanti, MI