From: Shafat Qazi [mailto:seaint-ad(--nospam--at)seaint.org]
Sent: Monday, November 10, 2003 9:55 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: SICK PROFESSION

Dennis:

You are misinformed about this. The H1-B visa cap as of October 1, 2003 is set at 65,000. See link:
http://www.immigrationlawgroup.net/news/20030930_2.php

You are also wrong about H1-B worker having advantage in gaining permanent residence. To educate you here is how a person can migrate to USA.

1. Participate in Lottery. Every year INS issues green cards by picking names at random from the application filed from certain qualified countries. Why citizens of some countries can't participate in this lottery system remains unknown to me.

2. Parents of US citizens. Waiting period varies between 6 months to 3 years depending on the country of origin. Each country has its on quota for this category.

3. Unmarried children of US Permanent residents or US citizens under the age of 18. Waiting period varies between 9 months to 4 years depending on the country of origin. Each country has its on quota for this category.

4. Married Children. This one has not moved for past eight years.

5. Brothers and sisters. This one also has not moved for years.

6. Employment based. This one has two methods. RIR method which requires six months of advertising in major newspapers. Currently takes 2 to 3 years depending on where you live. The other method (regular) requires one month of advertising in a major newspaper takes over four years. The quota for this category does not impact the quota for the family based immigration categories described above.

Because the employment based category has always been separated from family based category, it does not impact them. Also remember each category has its own quota per country.

Hope the helps clear the misinformation.

Shafat