RE: SEA (was Sick Profession

Scott,
I know we have had this discussion, but I think that the people who read
this understand the hierarchy.
(From bottom to top)
Member
SEA Chapter
SEA State Chapter (where more than one local chapter exists such as in
California)
SEI & CASE (added representation with their own members)
NCSEA - Representing the representation from each SEA state Chapter, SEI
and CASE. http://dwp.bigplanet.com/engineers/membershipinfo/

NCSEA MEMBERSHIP IS COMPRISED OF THE FOLLOWING:

"The Council is comprised of Member Organizations, each representing
structural engineers within a state or group of states. Each Member
Organization names one individual, and one alternate, to serve as a
voting delegate at any NCSEA meeting."

"Sustaining Members... are structural engineering firms, firms that
employ structural engineers and individual structural engineers that are
not attached to a Member Organization [assumed to mean Independent
Engineers]"

"Associate Member are nationally recognized bodies that are associated
with the practice of structural engineering, who are invited and
approved for this status by the NCSEA Board of Directors."

"Affiliate Members are all other interested parties invited and approved
by the Board of Directors."

The point is that there is a hierarchy. If you need a professional to do
the job, then advertise at each state level SEA or each local chapter of
SEA (SEAOC is the state chapter, SEAOSC is Southern California, SEAoSD
is San Diego chapter, SEAoCC is Central California chapter, and SEAoNC
is the Northern California Chapter).

Scott, as a representative or National Council for all SEA chapters,
NCSEA will unite to create standards for which they believe should
become the rules or laws that Engineers must follow. For example, Craig
Barnes, SE published a "Basic Education for certification as a
Structural Engineer" on their website at
http://dwp.bigplanet.com/engineers/nsefor1/ . I can't believe that at
some time in the near future, NCSEA will be the national voice for all
of the SEA chapters and for each of the members of SEA chapters through
their representation.

In a way, this is similar to starting an Electoral College. The
Electoral College represented members who did not have a means of
communicating with congress except through their elected representative.
This is an outdated concept as we have the means electronically, to
communicate ideologies and methodologies so that the members have an
independent voice. Why? Because the issues are much more complicated
today and one person can not possibly represent the beliefs of
individuals on every topic or issue. I don't understand how anyone today
can vote a party rather than a conscience. Similarly, there is more
demand upon us as individual members to become involved in the issues
and to take a stand on individual issues.

If you are interested in the history of the political Electoral College,
here is an excellent link to read: http://www.fec.gov/pdf/eleccoll.pdf

Personally, I think that there is too much information coming through
many sources that we lose track of what is most important to us
structurally. I believe that we each focus on the issues that most
directly affect our practices and vote our conscience on the issues that
most directly affect us.

To do this, we need the issues, drafts of codes (which is rarely
available to us without some cost) and a means to review the methodology
in as convenient a manner as possible. It also means that we need to be
able to trace back in the methodology to understand the intent of each
section of code. I believe this is possible since we have been using
electronic documents for more than ten years now. We should be able to
track back the UBC on the West side of the Rockies and others may have
suggestions for how to clearly document the codes they use.

Scott, I hope you understand what my ultimate intent is. Each member is
a voice and we don't need a generic representation who represents all
issues - some of which we don't agree with. One person can not possibly
represent the combination of needs that each one of us has and this is
why the individual member is the key and the Internet is the tool.

Dennis S. Wish, PE