Re: ASTM A 36 steel

> I know this has been discussed before, but I never followed real closely.
> It is my understanding that ASTM A 36 is being used less now then it has
been
> in the past.  Can someone maybe summarize some of the issues?
> I will note that my specific interest is the steel used as dowels for
slabs
> on ground,  which ACI 360, for unknown (even to them) reasons,  recommends
be
> ASTM A 36.
> I'd like to know the overall industry trend though,  i.e. availability,
price,
> whatever caused the change.

Check out the January, February, and March 1999 issues of Modern Steel
Construction

http://www.aisc.org/MSCTemplate.cfm?Section=Back_Issues1&Template=/CustomSource/CopyrightDateList.cfm

A36 is still commonly used for rolled channels, American Standard shapes
("S"), angles, and plates.  I'm also pretty sure A36 threaded rod is still
available.  Some small fabricators still call and say they've never heard of
A1556 rod.  The only shapes where A36 is being phased out are wide flange
shapes and T's cut from them.  They're still available, just getting more
expensive.

Also, on my last project we needed some extra capacity in a 15" channel and
were able to verify that it was dual certified for A572-50 and A36.  I don't
know how common this is.

----
Jason Kilgore
Leigh & O'Kane, L.L.C.