Re: ASTM A 36 steel

Gail,

From a strength standpoint, you are probably right that any steel will due for joint dowels.  Typically thought, A36 (smooth bar) is used when you are looking for sliding expansion.  The ends are greased, taped, or put into tight fitting plastic tubes.  A615 (deformed bar) is normally used where you don't need sliding.  I try to use A615 dowel bar whenever possible since there is typically a lot of scrap rebar on the job site that they can take advantage of for free.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

GSKWY(--nospam--at)aol.com

11/12/2003 11:49 AM

Please respond to
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
cc
Subject
Re: ASTM A 36 steel

Thanks for the replies.

One of my points was that although ACI 360 recommends that dowels be A36 steel,  A615 steel is typically used by the paving industry.

Its not a mission critical element,  probably any ASTM steel would do.

ACI (and other association) recommendations are just that - recommendations.  Sometimes they are good, sometimes they aren't.  Unfortunately,  a lot of times these recommendations morph into specification requirements.

Gail Kelley