4" CMU walls with out-of-plane loads

UBC 2107.1.3.1 (working stress) bans "bearing" CMU walls less than 6"

UBC 2108.2.4.4 (strength) bans walls less than 6" for out-of-plane
loads, when axial load is 0.04 f'm or less. (more or less non
load-bearing)

UBC 2108.2.4.5 (strength) says nothing for out-of-plane loads on walls
with axial load greater than 0.04 f'm.

What gives?  The working stress restriction is for bearing walls, and
the strength restriction is for non-load bearing walls.  Have I missed
something?  I suppose that the strength method has some limitation
wrapped up in the formulas.  I've got some non-load bearing screens that
the customer would like in 4" CMU, and working stress isn't quite
cutting it.  I'm not interested in commentary on the practical
difficulties of reinforcing and grouting 4" CMU - I'm intimate with that
issue.

For futher curiosity, does the IBC address this?  I saw nothing in a
visual scan of ACI 530-99.

TIA,

Ed Tornberg, PE
Blazer Industries, Inc.